In The Environment
We are committed to meeting high standards of environmental stewardship in the communities we serve, and to conducting business in a manner that minimizes adverse environmental impacts on present and future generations.
The following principles and actions provide a framework for our environmental stewardship and sustainable business practices:
- Design an Environmental Management System that enables us to systematically plan, implement and continually improve the processes and actions we take to meet our business and environmental goals;
- Comply with all applicable requirements of environmental laws, regulations, permit requirements and company policies applicable to our operations;
- Incorporate environmental impact considerations into decision-making processes concerning existing and future operations;
- Support the conservation of energy and natural resources through strategic planning, efficient operating practices, technology and consumer education;
- Minimize waste through recycling and other means, and properly manage any waste that is created;
- Support and implement actions designed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and counteract global climate change;
- Foster a culture where employees have the encouragement, training, knowledge and resources necessary to perform their job in a manner consistent with this policy;
- Participate in the development of standards and guidelines in support of environmental stewardship;
- Communicate and demonstrate our commitment to sound environmental policies and practices; and
- Support others who share our commitment to environmental stewardship and sustainable development.
Implementation of this policy is the responsibility of all our employees. The Board of Directors regularly reviews environmental strategies and performance under this policy.
Managing Reliability and Wildlife
We are committed to providing safe and reliable power delivery to our customers. At the same time, we strive to minimize our impact on the environment, and we take the presence of wildlife and nesting birds seriously. We train all of our field workers on state and federal laws protecting wildlife.
We estimate there are several hundred nests on poles and other equipment throughout our 11,000-square-mile service area. If the nests don’t pose a risk to power reliability or wildlife, they are left alone. When they threaten safety and reliability, we have a permit to remove or relocate osprey nests. Like virtually all bird species, osprey are protected under the Federal Migratory Bird Act, so we work closely with the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife to comply with these laws.
Our crews often install plastic piping and other deterrents on pole tops to keep the birds from nesting. In some cases, crews will build nesting platforms upon which birds can build their new home.
Our top priority is to provide safe and reliable power delivery to you. Moving osprey nests keeps the birds safe, and reduces the risk to our system.