Help With Your Bill

Understanding your energy use can help put you in control of your monthly bills. While CMP delivers power to you, other companies – not CMP – supply your electricity. Electricity Supply prices are going up this winter. CMP does not make money from electricity supply and does not control the cost. 

An important message from CMP Vice President of Customer Service, Linda Ball


We do want to help with resources and programs that can help you manage your monthly bill. You can prepare by using these tips to reduce your energy use while maintaining your comfort.

If you need help with your bill, you are not alone. We want to help, and there are a number of programs designed to meet a variety of needs for you and your family.

Call 2-1-1 for more information

If you or someone you know needs utility or heating assistance, call 2-1-1 if calling from Maine, or call 877.463.6207, or text your zip code to 898-211, or visit for information about services available throughout Maine. 2-1-1 is Maine's 24/7 health and human services information and referral system.

Contact your local Community Action Agency (CAA) to apply for assistance through these programs:

Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERA)

Maine’s Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERA) has expanded eligibility criteria! This program provides federal funding to help pay rent and utility costs for eligible Maine renters. One application could cover rent you owe back to March 2020, three months of future rent, and some unpaid and current utility bills. You could get up to 12 months of help from this program. Apply for ERA online and find answers to frequently asked questions at, or find your local CAA. You can also use the ERA income calculator to check income eligibility for your local area.

Maine's Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF)

The Maine HAF is a free, federal relief program for homeowners financially impacted by COVID-19 who are behind on their mortgage, housing, property tax or utility payments and are at risk of foreclosure. The program, which can provide up to $25,000 per eligible household, is funded through the U.S. Dept. of Treasury and administered by the Maine Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection. To learn more and apply, visit

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

HEAP provides federal grant money to qualified customers to help pay their heating costs and may also assist with weatherization needs. Contact your local CAA to apply for HEAP. Qualifying for HEAP is the first step to be eligible to apply for the additional programs below.

To qualify for HEAP, your household income must fall within HEAP guidelines.

If you pay court ordered child support, you may be able to deduct the amounts paid from your household's income.­ If your household income is over the HEAP income guidelines, you may be able to deduct a portion of the amount you paid for medical expenses.

Poverty Level Household Size
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
1 Month $2,433 $3,181 $3,930 $4,678 $5,427 $6,175 $6,315 $6,456 $6,596 $6,736
3 Months $7,298 $9,543 $11,789 $14,034 $16,280 $18,525 $18,946 $19,367 $19,788 $20,209
12 Months $29,191 $38,172 $47,154 $56,136 $65,118 $74,100 $75,784 $77,468 $79,152 $80,836

Electricity Lifeline Program (ELP)

CMP's ELP Program offers qualified customers a credit of up to $900 annually on their electric bill. The amount of your ELP credit is based on household income and estimated electricity usage. See our ELP fact sheet for more information. Apply for ELP at your local CAA.

Oxygen Pump/Ventilator Assistance Program

Customers who qualify for CMP's ELP may also be eligible to participate in our Oxygen Pump/Ventilator Assistance Program if CMP has a current Lifelight form. This program provides additional bill credits to customers who must use an oxygen pump or ventilator for at least 8 hours per day for health-related reasons. Apply for this program at your local CAA. If you've already enrolled in ELP, you must provide the completed Lifelight form to receive this assistance.

Arrearage Management Program (AMP)

The AMP helps qualified customers reduce their past due balance by as much as $300 each month, as long as current monthly payments are made in full and on time. See our AMP fact sheet for more information and apply for the AMP here.

Friend Alert

CMP’s Friend Alert Third Party Notification service offers you extra peace of mind. A friend, agency or organization you designate will receive a copy of any important notices we may send to you. This may also be helpful if you are helping someone else with their bill, like an elderly parent, friend or neighbor. They can designate you as their Friend Alert. For more information, please call us at 800.750.4000.

Hearing and Speech Impairment Assistance

If you use a telephone (TTY) device in your home, dial 711 and ask the Maine Relay Service operator to contact us at 800.750.4000.

More information

If you are interested in learning more or enrolling in any of these free services, contact us or contact your local CAA.

Location Address

Augusta Area:

Kennebec Valley Community Action Buker Community Center

22 Armory Street

Augusta, Maine 04330

Tel: 800.542.8227

Tel: 207.622.4761


Bangor Area:

Penquis Community Action Program

262 Harlow Street

Bangor, Maine 04402.1162

Tel: 800.215.4942

Tel: 207.973.3630


Bath Area:

Kennebec Valley Community Action

62 Middle Street

Wiscasset, Maine 04578

Tel: 207.849.1500

Tel: 800.542.8227


Belfast Area:

Waldo Community Action Partners

9 Field Street, P.O. Box 130

Belfast, Maine 04915

Tel: 800.498.3025

Tel: 207.338.3025


Biddeford Area:

York County Community Action Corp.

15 York Street / Building 9

Biddeford, Maine 04005

Tel: 800.644.4202

Tel: 207.283.2402


Dover-Foxcroft Area:


50 North Street

Dover-Foxcroft, Maine 04426

Tel: 800.215.4942

Tel: 207.564.7116


Ellsworth Area:

Washington Hancock Community Agency

248 Bucksport Road

Ellsworth, Maine 04605

Tel: 207.664.2424

Farmington Area:

Western Maine Community Action Corp.

20A Church Street, P.O. Box 200

East Wilton, Maine 04234

Tel: 800.645.9636

Tel: 207.645.3764


Kittery Area:

York County Community Action Corp.

120 Rogers Road

Kittery, Maine 03904

Tel: 800.965.5762

Tel: 207.439.2699


Lewiston Area:

Community Concepts

240 Bates Street

Lewiston, ME 04240

Tel: 800.866.5588

Tel: 207.795.4065


Portland Area:

The Opportunity Alliance

50 Lydia Lane

South Portland, Maine 04106

Tel: 207.874.1175

Tel: 877.429.6884

Portland Area:

222 St. John Street, Suite 207

Portland, ME 04102

Tel: 207.553.5910

Tel: 877.429.6884

Rockland Area:

Penquis Community Action Program

315 Main Street

Rockland, Maine 04841

Tel: 800.215.4942

Tel: 207.596.0361


Sanford Area:

York County Community Action Corp.

6 Spruce Street

Sanford, Maine 04073

Tel: 800.965.5762

Tel: 207.324.5762


Skowhegan Area:

Kennebec Valley Community Action Program

26 Mary Street

Skowhegan, Maine 09476

Tel: 800.542.8227

Tel: 207.474.8487


South Paris Area:


Community Concepts, Inc.

17-19 Market Square

South Paris, Maine 04281

Tel: 800.866.5588

Tel: 207.743.7716


Waterville Area:

Kennebec Valley Community Action Program

97 Water Street

Waterville, Maine 04901

Tel: 800.542.8227

Tel: 207.859.1500

Providing Proof of Identification

If you have been asked to provide proof of identification, please go to this page with instructions and download the Application for Electric Service, have it notarized, and return it to us.