CMP Preparing for Strong Winds Sunday Night
AUGUSTA, ME— November 20, 2021 – Central Maine Power (CMP) is ready to respond to possible outages caused by potentially hazardous winds Sunday night into Monday. A cold front will enter CMP’s service area Sunday night, bringing strong winds, with the greatest impacts likely seen along the coast. CMP has been closely monitoring weather forecasts and has secured internal and external line and tree crews ahead of the storm.
“Our 200 CMP lineworkers, 128 contract lineworkers and 100 tree crews are ready to respond should outages occur,” said CMP Vice President of Electric Operations, Adam Desrosiers. “Crews will work overnight Sunday and into Monday to assess damage, make conditions safe and restore power once it is safe to do so. We will continue to monitor forecasts and move crews as needed.”
CMP is working closely with local and county Emergency Management officials to understand restoration priorities and safety concerns.
CMP offers storm preparation tips and a checklist on our website cmpco.com.
Safety tips in a power outage:
- Stay away from downed lines. No line is safe to touch.
- Turn off or unplug major appliance and sensitive electronics.
- Never use range or outdoor stoves to heat your home.
- If you need shelter or food, reach out to 211 for available resources.
Customers may use the CMP Mobile App to report and check the status of power outages. Visit the Apple App store or Google Play store to download for free. Additional online tools to report and monitor outages are accessible https://cmpco.com/outages.
If you lose service:
- To report an outage, visit Outage Central at cmpco.com. Customers may also report an outage using CMP’s 24/7 automated phone system at 800.696.1000.
- Keep sensitive electronic appliances such as computers, TVs and stereos plugged into a surge protector, or unplug them. They could be damaged if a power surge occurs when electricity is restored.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed. For information about food safety, visit http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/refridg_food.html.
For customers with generators:
- Hire a licensed electrician to install permanent generators and transfer switches.
- Properly ground all portable generators.
- Carefully read and observe all instructions in your generator’s operating manual.
- Never run a generator indoors, or even in an open garage.
- If your carbon monoxide detector goes off – get out of the building immediately and call 911.
- Do not store fuel indoors or try to refuel a generator while it’s running.
- Refer to CMP’s web page on generator safety.
About CMP: Central Maine Power Company (CMP), a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc., is Maine’s largest electricity transmission and distribution utility. Established in 1899 and based in Augusta, Maine, CMP serves approximately 646,000 customers across 346 communities in central and southern Maine. It operates approximately 23,500 miles of distribution lines and 2,900 miles of transmission lines. Over the last decade, the company has invested approximately $3.5 billion in Maine system infrastructure. For more information, visit cmpco.com.
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit avangrid.com.