CMP Preparing for Strong Winds and Thunderstorms
Thunderstorms, heavy wind and torrential rain expected throughout service area Wednesday
AUGUSTA, ME — September 15, 2021 —
Central Maine Power (CMP) is preparing to respond to potential outages, with strong winds, thunderstorms and torrential downpours expected throughout the service area late this afternoon and into this evening. CMP has been monitoring the weather and has secured both internal and external line and tree crews ahead of the storm.
“Thunderstorm-related wind gusts are currently forecasted to exceed 40 MPH in many areas throughout our service territory,” said Kerri Therriault, CMP’s director of electric operations. “Those strong winds paired with thunderstorms and heavy rain often cause trees and limbs, usually outside of our approved trimming zone, to fall onto poles and wires. We are closely monitoring the weather and will be ready to respond should outages occur.”
CMP has raised awareness with the Maine Emergency Management Agency, County Emergency Management agencies, and local municipalities and will work closely with these agencies should outages occur to understand restoration priorities and any safety concerns.
CMP offers storm preparation tips and a checklist here.
CMP reminds customers to remember the following if they have lost power:
- Stay away from downed lines. No line is safe to touch.
- Turn off or unplug major appliance and sensitive electronics.
- Never use range or outdoor stoves to heat your home.
- If you need shelter or food, reach out to 211 for available resource.
Customers may use online tools, accessible at cmpco.com to report and monitor outages
If you lose service:
- To report an outage, visit Outage Central at cmpco.com. Customers may also report an outage using CMP’s 24/7 automated phone system at 800.696.1000.
- Keep sensitive electronic appliances, such as computers and TVs, plugged into a surge protector, or unplug them. They could be damaged if a power surge occurs when electricity is restored.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed. For information about food safety, visit http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/refridg_food.html
For customers with generators:
- Hire a licensed electrician to install permanent generators and transfer switches.
- Properly ground all portable generators.
- Carefully read and observe all instructions in your generator’s operating manual.
- Never run a generator indoors, or even in an open garage.
- If your carbon monoxide detector goes off – get out of the building immediately and call 911.
- Do not store fuel indoors or try to refuel a generator while it’s running.
- Refer to CMP’s web page on generator safety
# # #
About CMP: Central Maine Power Company (CMP), a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc., is Maine’s largest electricity transmission and distribution utility. Established in 1899 and based in Augusta, Maine, CMP serves approximately 636,000 customers across 346 communities in central and southern Maine. It operates approximately 23,500 miles of distribution lines and 2,900 miles of transmission lines. Over the last decade, the company has invested approximately $3.5 billion in Maine system infrastructure. In 2019, CMP was named Large Business of the Year by the Kennebec Valley United Way. For more information, visit www.cmpco.com.
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) is a leading, sustainable energy company with approximately $36 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states. With headquarters in Orange, Connecticut, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 6,600 people. AVANGRID supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2019 and 2020 by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com.
- 24/7 Media Hotline