Understand Your Usage
Electric usage varies from day to day and month to month, depending upon a variety of factors including your daily habits, the weather, and the time of year. An increase in your electric usage could be caused by a variety of factors:
Electricity bills may be higher during the winter months. It's simple math:
For example: How much energy does my electric space heater use?
|A portable electric space heater||= 1,500 watts|
|Divide that wattage by 1,000 to get the # of kilowatts||= 1.5 kilowatts|
|Multiply the kilowatts (1.5) by the number of hours used (4)||=6.0 kWh (number of kilowatt hours used for an evening of warming after work until bedtime)|
|Multiply the kWh (6.0) by the cost (14 cents per kWh*)||= 84 cents (cost per evening of warming after work until bedtime using the portable space heater)|
*The total cost per kWh for customers taking standard offer service is 14 cents
(CMP delivery is 6.7 cents and Standard Offer Supply is 7.3 cents) Your supply rate may vary - check your bill.
Wonder how much electricity all the different items in your home use?
Use our FREE Energy Calculator to find out what each costs to run.
Use the miscellaneous section of the calculator to complete the calculation above for a single appliance!
- To estimate the hours used, think about how your appliances operate – does the appliance cycle on and off all day? Is it on steady for 8 to 10 hours?
- Think about how you use your appliance. For example: using an electric space heater while enjoying TV = 4 hours, times 20 nights a month = 80 hours of use in a month.
- Look at your bill to understand your billing cycle – it may run mid-October to mid-November, for example, so what you call your November bill may be half October!
- Look at your bill to find the cost of your delivery charges (page 2) and your electricity supply (page 3).
Now you have an idea of the impact of colder weather and warm comfort on your bill!
We offer the following FREE resources:
Receive alerts and updates about your electricity usage and estimated cost - all made possible by your smart meter! You can choose to receive any of the following alerts:
- Usage Update: Receive weekly updates with your usage, estimated cost, and daily averages for the current billing period.
- Usage Amount Exceeded: Set a monthly electricity usage or dollar amount, and we'll notify you if/when you exceed that amount.
- Usage Change: We'll notify you of big changes to your daily usage. Specifically, if your daily usage is 50% higher or 75% lower than your past 30-day average usage for three days in a row.
Track your energy usage online, hour-by-hour, day-by-day. With Energy Manager, you can create a checklist of ways to save and get helpful tips for managing your electricity use.
Home Energy Calculator
Enter your appliance information to get an understanding of how different appliances in your home affect your overall costs.
Try our Home Energy Calculator
A sudden increase in energy usage may indicate a problem with an appliance, heating or cooling system, or water heater. A spike can also be caused by a period of very hot, muggy weather in the summer. Don't forget that since billing cycles are about a month long, sometimes it can be a few weeks before the effect of a heat wave will be seen on your bill.