CMP Prepared for Weekend Storm
Company plans staffing for continuous response
AUGUSTA, ME—March 11, 2022 – Central Maine Power (CMP) is prepared to respond across its service territory should the weekend Maine storm create power outages. In addition to 200 CMP lineworkers, the Company has secured the support of 210 line contractors and 250 tree workers should the storm bring wet snow and high wind gusts that can cause outages.
“We have been monitoring this storm for several days, specifically keeping an eye on how wet and heavy the snow will be and how strong the winds may be, as that combination can bring trees and limbs down on poles and wires,” said Adam Desrosiers, vice president Electric Operations for CMP. “We are planning our field staffing to ensure we can respond throughout the course of the storm Saturday and Sunday.”
In a storm, making local areas safe from any downed wires or debris is always a top priority. CMP coordinates with the Maine Emergency Management Agency, County Emergency Management agencies, and local municipalities to understand local restoration priorities and any safety concerns.
CMP offers storm preparation tips and a checklist on our website www.cmpco.com. Customers may also enroll online in Outage Alerts to stay current in the event they lose power.
CMP reminds customers to remember the following if they have lost power:
- Stay away from downed lines. No line is safe to touch.
- Turn off or unplug major appliance and sensitive electronics.
- Never use range or outdoor stoves to heat your home.
- If you need shelter or food, reach out to 211 for available resource.
If you lose service:
- To report an outage, visit Outage Central at cmpco.com. Customers may also report an outage using CMP’s 24/7 automated phone system at 800.696.1000.
- Keep sensitive electronic appliances such as computers, TVs and stereos plugged into a surge protector, or unplug them. They could be damaged if a power surge occurs when electricity is restored.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed. For information about food safety, visit the FoodSafety.gov Food Safety During Power Outage page.
For customers with generators:
- Hire a licensed electrician to install permanent generators and transfer switches.
- Properly ground all portable generators.
- Carefully read and observe all instructions in your generator’s operating manual.
- Never run a generator indoors, or even in an open garage.
- If your carbon monoxide detector goes off – get out of the building immediately and call 911.
- Do not store fuel indoors or try to refuel a generator while it’s running.
- Refer to CMP’s web page on generator safety.
# # #
About CMP: Central Maine Power Company (CMP), a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc., is Maine’s largest electricity transmission and distribution utility. Established in 1899 and based in Augusta, Maine, CMP serves approximately 646,000 customers across 346 communities in central and southern Maine. It operates approximately 23,500 miles of distribution lines and 2,900 miles of transmission lines. Over the last decade, the company has invested approximately $3.5 billion in Maine system infrastructure. For more information, visit cmpco.com.
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns and operates eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by JUST Capital in 2021 and 2022 as one of the JUST 100 companies – a ranking of America’s best corporate citizens. In 2022, AVANGRID ranked second within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit avangrid.com.
Learn about the Iberdrola Group’s global pandemic response at its COVID-19 Hub.