Vast Majority of Power Outages to be Restored End of Day
AUGUSTA, ME – October 15, 2022 – With more than 85% of customer power outages restored since the windstorm hit Maine mid-day Friday, Central Maine Power (CMP) predicts the vast majority of customers will be restored by the end of Saturday. At 9 a.m., just over 14,000 customers remained without power, from a total of 112,000 impacted by the storm since it began Thursday night. At the storm peak, 69,578 customers were out of power. More than 600 lineworkers from CMP, CMP sister companies and contractors are in the service area making repairs.
“We continue to make steady progress and have moved crews to the harder hit areas in Androscoggin and York Counties,” said Adam Desrosiers, vice president of Electric Operations. “We are mostly working in more remote areas today where we are making the system repairs that while just as time-consuming, restore a smaller numbers of customers when complete.”
CMP assesses the extent of any damage that occurs to the system and make repairs, prioritizing hospitals and other critical care facilities.
Customers may find storm preparation tips and a checklist on the CMP website cmpco.com. Customers may also enroll online in Outage Alerts to stay current in the event they lose power.
CMP reminds customers to remember the following if they have lost power:
- Stay away from downed lines. No line is safe to touch.
- Turn off or unplug major appliance and sensitive electronics.
- Never use range or outdoor stoves to heat your home.
- If you need shelter or food, reach out to 211 for available resource.
If you lose service:
- To report an outage, visit Outage Central. Customers may also report an outage using CMP’s 24/7 automated phone system at 800.696.1000.
- Keep sensitive electronic appliances such as computers, TVs and stereos plugged into a surge protector, or unplug them. They could be damaged if a power surge occurs when electricity is restored.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed. For information about food safety, visit http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/refridg_food.html.
For customers with generators:
- Hire a licensed electrician to install permanent generators and transfer switches.
- Properly ground all portable generators.
- Carefully read and observe all instructions in your generator’s operating manual.
- Never run a generator indoors, or even in an open garage.
- If your carbon monoxide detector goes off – get out of the building immediately and call 911.
- Do not store fuel indoors or try to refuel a generator while it’s running.
- Refer to CMP’s web page on generator safety.
# # #
About CMP: Central Maine Power Company (CMP), a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc., is Maine’s largest electricity transmission and distribution utility. Established in 1899 and based in Augusta, Maine, CMP serves approximately 646,000 customers across 346 communities in central and southern Maine. It operates approximately 23,500 miles of distribution lines and 2,900 miles of transmission lines. Over the last decade, the company has invested approximately $3.5 billion in Maine system infrastructure.
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $40 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns and operates eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by JUST Capital in 2021 and 2022 as one of the JUST 100 companies – a ranking of America’s best corporate citizens. In 2022, AVANGRID ranked second within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2022 for the fourth consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit avangrid.com.