CMP Prepares to Address Potential Outages from Wind and Rainstorm
Crews focused on Coast and Northern Areas
AUGUSTA, ME – October 13, 2022 – Central Maine Power (CMP) is prepared to respond in the event Thursday’s wind and rainstorm produces power outages. The company has 175 internal lineworkers and has retained 180 contractors staged across its service territory and 105 tree crews.
“We have been communicating with local Emergency Management officials to understand their priorities for road clearing in the event downed lines prohibit emergency vehicles as that is always our priority in responding,” said Kerri Therriault, senior director of Electric Operations for CMP. “We will continue to monitor where the wind is strongest and position our crews as needed.
Wind gusts, predicted to reach 40-45 mph along areas of the coast and higher elevations, can bring down tree limbs and uproot trees, causing damage to electrical wires and utility poles. CMP will assess the extent of any damage that may occur and make repairs, prioritizing hospitals and other critical care facilities.
Customers may find storm preparation tips and a checklist on the CMP website cmpco.com. Customers may also enroll online in Outage Alerts to stay current in the event they lose power.
CMP reminds customers to remember the following if they have lost power:
- Stay away from downed lines. No line is safe to touch.
- Turn off or unplug major appliance and sensitive electronics.
- Never use range or outdoor stoves to heat your home.
- If you need shelter or food, reach out to 211 for available resource.
If you lose service:
- To report an outage, visit Outage Central. Customers may also report an outage using CMP’s 24/7 automated phone system at 800.696.1000.
- Keep sensitive electronic appliances such as computers, TVs and stereos plugged into a surge protector, or unplug them. They could be damaged if a power surge occurs when electricity is restored.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed. For information about food safety, visit http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/refridg_food.html.
For customers with generators:
- Hire a licensed electrician to install permanent generators and transfer switches.
- Properly ground all portable generators.
- Carefully read and observe all instructions in your generator’s operating manual.
- Never run a generator indoors, or even in an open garage.
- If your carbon monoxide detector goes off – get out of the building immediately and call 911.
- Do not store fuel indoors or try to refuel a generator while it’s running.
- Refer to CMP’s web page on generator safety.
# # #
About CMP: Central Maine Power Company (CMP), a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc., is Maine’s largest electricity transmission and distribution utility. Established in 1899 and based in Augusta, Maine, CMP serves approximately 646,000 customers across 346 communities in central and southern Maine. It operates approximately 23,500 miles of distribution lines and 2,900 miles of transmission lines. Over the last decade, the company has invested approximately $3.5 billion in Maine system infrastructure.
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $40 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns and operates eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by JUST Capital in 2021 and 2022 as one of the JUST 100 companies – a ranking of America’s best corporate citizens. In 2022, AVANGRID ranked second within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2022 for the fourth consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit avangrid.com.