CMP Preparing for Weekend Windstorm
Strong wind gusts expected throughout the weekend
AUGUSTA, ME — March 12, 2021 — Central Maine Power (CMP) is preparing to respond to potential outages, with heavy winds expected throughout the weekend. CMP has 200 internal lineworkers and 120 in-state contracted lineworkers across its service area ready to respond, as well as 220 tree workers. Crews from CMP’s sister utilities are also on standby and ready to assist if needed.
“Wind can be very challenging when it comes to the power restoration process,” said Kerri Therriault, CMP’s director of electric operations. “These conditions make it dangerous for our lineworkers to go up in buckets, cause significant tree damage, and often last longer than snow and thunder storms. Outages can continue as long as the wind is gusting, even when we are actively restoring power. We have made sure to prepare ahead of time and will be ready to respond as the winds roll in.”
CMP is coordinating with the Maine Emergency Management Agency, County Emergency Management agencies, and local municipalities to understand restoration priorities and any safety concerns.
CMP continues to observe all COVID-19 safety protocols in storm response including:
- Working in separate teams to minimize contact
- Restricting visitor access to company facilities
- Entering a customer residence only in the event of emergency and after assessing risk
- Maintaining appropriate social distancing in the field
- Allowing one employee per vehicle
- Wearing masks
CMP has developed a variety of ways for customers to report a loss of service and to obtain information about the status of outages:
- Using our mobile app (search for Central Maine Power in the App store), you can know if CMP is already aware of an outage for your home, report a new outage and see the current status of your outage, all from the home page.
- Enroll in Outage Alerts and then you can simply text “OUT” to 267-898 (CMP-TXT) to report an outage. You can also text “ON” to report power has been restored or “STATUS” for an update for your location. Outage Alerts will also notify you if an outage occurs, when an estimated restoration time is established or changed for your outage, and when power is restored.
- Online at www.cmpco.com.
- Using our 24/7 automated phone system at 800.696.1000. Use your account number, phone number or social security number to report your outage and to hear estimated restoration times specific to your location.
If you lose service:
- Keep sensitive electronic appliances such as computers, TVs and stereos plugged into a surge protector, or unplug them. They could be damaged if a power surge occurs when electricity is restored.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed. For information about food safety, visit http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/refridg_food.html.
For customers with generators:
- Hire a licensed electrician to install permanent generators and transfer switches.
- Properly ground all portable generators.
- Carefully read and observe all instructions in your generator’s operating manual.
- Never run a generator indoors, or even in an open garage.
- If your carbon monoxide detector goes off – get out of the building immediately and call 911.
- Do not store fuel indoors or try to refuel a generator while it’s running.
- Refer to CMP’s web page on generator safety
# # #
About CMP: Central Maine Power Company (CMP), a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc., is Maine’s largest electricity transmission and distribution utility. Established in 1899 and based in Augusta, Maine, CMP serves approximately 646,000 customers across 346 communities in central and southern Maine. It operates approximately 23,500 miles of distribution lines and 2,900 miles of transmission lines. Over the last decade, the company has invested approximately $3.5 billion in Maine system infrastructure. For more information, visit www.cmpco.com.
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $38 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns and operates eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies – a list of America’s best corporate citizens – and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com.
24/7 Media Hotline