Usage and Safety 
recreational uses

CMP-owned corridors are generally open to the public for a variety of recreational activities. Uses may be prohibited on sections of corridors on which CMP only has an easement, where there are reservations in the deed to CMP, or where CMP leased or licensed rights to others. For example, recreational use of corridors may be prohibited where others have agricultural rights.

Hiking, Bird Watching, Bicycling, Other Non-Motorized Uses
Hiking, birdwatching, bicycling and other non-motorized uses are generally allowed on CMP's fee-owned corridors, except where expressly prohibited. Abutting owners may have reserved rights, such as agricultural rights, that may limit these activities. If you have a question concerning a specific area contact us.

Snowmobiling and ATV Use
Organized snowmobile and all-terrain vehicle (ATV) clubs licensed by the State of Maine Department of Conservation, Bureau of Parks and Lands may apply to CMP through the Bureau of Parks & Land for a license for trail locations on CMP's corridors. All requests for trails should be made to the Bureau of Parks & Lands who will forward all requests for trails to CMP.

This procedure establishes the flow, communication, approval and record keeping processes related to the use of CMP's corridors for State-sponsored snowmobile and ATV trails and assures that:

  • CMP is aware of all organized uses by snowmobile and ATV clubs of CMP's lands whether owned in fee simple or easement ; and
  • All such uses meet safety, engineering, operations, legal and environmental requirements, and
  • The State provides liability insurance coverage.

As part of its licensing process, CMP requires that:

  • Written notice of all proposed trails be given to abutting landowners prior to the State making application to CMP.
  • Only snowmobiles and 3 and 4 wheeled ATV's are permitted on CMP corridors. No other vehicles such as 4 x 4 trucks or two wheeled high-pressure dirt bikes are permitted.
  • Where CMP has easement rights only, approval of the trails will be limited to the extent of CMP's easement rights. Additional approval for the trail must be obtained from the fee landowner.

Contact the State of Maine, Department of Conservation, Bureau of Parks & Lands for information on forming a snowmobile or ATV club or on the location of existing trails.

Hunting and Posting
CMP's transmission line corridors are generally open to the public for a variety of recreational uses. However, situations arise where public access is not in the best interest of CMP or abutting landowners and the posting of these properties becomes necessary.

A major concern of abutting landowners is that CMP's transmission line corridors expose their property to recreational uses, including hunting, trapping, all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiling, etc. Some landowners are opposed to these and other activities on, or abutting, their lands.

In such cases, abutters must request permission to post CMP's corridors. Such postings are typically intended to prevent hunting and the discharge of firearms. Some landowners wish to prevent all access and request permission to post no trespassing signs.

Historically, CMP has honored such requests in the interest of maintaining good relations with abutting landowners. However, as land ownership patterns change, and the public's use of corridors increase, the demand for posting private lands has greatly increased.

In recent years, CMP joined the Governor's Council of Landowner/Sportsman Relations which was formed to address these issues. With regard to posting, the Council adopted and promotes "Hunting By Permission Only" and the posting of "Safety Zone" signs around residences. CMP supports and promotes the Council's position in its Posting Policy.

  • In order to assure that CMP handles posting requests in an equitable manner, and balances the needs of landowners and the recreating public, the following policy has been established for reviewing and approving requests.
  • Where CMP has easement rights only over a landowner's property, the landowner may post their property or prohibit all uses as long as it does not conflict or interfere with the maintenance or operation of CMP. No permission is required from CMP.
  • When requests involve fee-owned transmission line corridors, a R/W Request form is prepared for tracking, informational purposes and to provide for a coordinated approach to managing corridors. Requests for posting "No Trespassing" or "Hunting by Permission Only" signs on CMP fee-owned corridors must be in writing. Permission to post "Safety Zone" signs may be given verbally. The requester's name, address, phone number, and the location should be obtained.
  • No signs will be attached to CMP's poles or equipment and the corridors will not be blocked off or gated without CMP's permission.