Web Content ViewerActions
Bill Pay Scam
Beware of bill payment scams - Verify before you pay.
We continue to learn of fraudulent activities – nationwide and locally – where our customers are contacted and asked to pay current or past due charges, and these “payments” go to scammers instead. These contacts take place by email, phone, or in person. Utility customers can be a convenient target for these scammers, because unlike retail business customers, most everyone is a customer of an energy company and pays utility bills.
Take the following precautions to avoid falling victim to a scam:
- We do not ask customers to purchase debit cards (such as Green Dot MoneyPaks) to make payments. Any instruction involving such payment schemes should be considered a red flag.
- One option to avoid payment scams entirely and keep current on your CMP bills is to enroll in our AutoPay service, where your amount due will be automatically deducted from your bank account each month. You can rest assured that your payment has been made securely. Learn more about AutoPay.
- You can always check your account balance and any past-due amount status on our secure Account section. You'll find complete information about your CMP account payment options.
- Do not make any payments over the phone to anyone who asks you to dial a different number.
- If you are mailing your payment, our address is: CMP, P.O. Box 847810, Boston, MA 02284-7810.
- Pay in person at an authorized payment agent.
- If you pay your bill using your own payment service (for instance, your bank) always follow the payment service’s instructions to ensure your account security.
- You can easily verify the identity of any CMP employee at your premise. Ask for their photo ID card.
Remember, if something sounds too good to be true, or if information about your account balance doesn’t match what you expect, it probably isn't true. It pays to protect yourself from scams. If you have fallen victim to a scam, immediately contact your local police and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC.gov).