Central Maine Power Company, 83 Edison Drive, Augusta, ME 04336
Contact: John Carroll email@example.com
Central Maine Power Reaches 75 Percent Mark in Recovery from Tropical Storm Irene
AUGUSTA, Maine, August 30, 2011, 5 p.m. — Central Maine Power Company (CMP) reports 68,000 customers without power as of 5 p.m. Tropical Storm Irene caused nearly 280,000 customer outages in the CMP service area with a peak on Sunday evening of nearly 187,000 outages.
“We’ve restored 75% of the outages since Irene hit on Sunday,” said Tom Depeter, Director of Operations for CMP. “By later today, we expect to get the number of outages closer to 50,000. We’ll have power back for nearly all of our customers in several northern counties by late tonight, and we believe we’ll have everyone back by Thursday night with the exception of some scattered camps and seasonal properties.”
The company reported progress in several areas:
• Additional crews were brought in from out of state, increasing the field workforce to more than 750 workers, assisted by hundreds of support personnel;
• All of the three-phase lines have been re-energized;
• The company has completed approximately 90% of its system assessment;
• Crews have found 245 broken poles, and replaced more than 180 through this afternoon;
• CMP expects to restore power to nearly all customers in the counties of Hancock, Knox, Penobscot, and Piscataquis by tonight although a few outages may remain in remote areas on Wednesday;
• As the work concludes in some counties, the company is preparing to move crews into harder hit areas of the state on Wednesday;
• CMP expects to complete all storm repairs by late Thursday night.
CMP also reminds customers to use caution when approaching utility crews in the roadway, and urges customers to contact the company’s call center rather then repair for information about repairs in their area. The working conditions are difficult, and it is important for crews to work safely and without distraction.
“We’ve found 245 broken poles, so far,” said Depeter. “That’s the third highest number I’ve seen destroyed since the Ice Storm in 1998. It’s a good indication of how destructive this storm has been.”
Outages by county as of 5 p.m..
CMP Total: 67,420
Click here to see a map of storm outages by town.
Next update: 8/30, 9 p.m.
Follow us on Twitter.
About CMP and Iberdrola USA: CMP, a subsidiary of Iberdrola USA, is Maine’s largest electricity transmission and distribution company, serving more than 600,000 customers. The company has been ranked #1 in customer satisfaction three times by J.D. Power and Associates. Iberdrola USA, a subsidiary of global energy leader Iberdrola, S.A., is an energy services and delivery company with more than 2.4 million customers in upstate New York and New England. We are a team of dedicated individuals working as one to deliver value to our customers, employees and shareholders. By providing outstanding customer service and exceptional reliability, while holding safety and the environment in high regard, we aspire to be a world-class energy company.
For more information, visit www.cmpco.com and www.iberdrolausa.com.