Central Maine Power Company, 83 Edison Drive, Augusta, ME 04336 (207) 622-NEWS
Corporate Communications - firstname.lastname@example.org
Release: Immediate - An Energy East Company
CMP completes Bath industrial site clean-up
AUGUSTA, Maine, June 5, 2008 — Central Maine Power Company has completed the removal of the remnants of a former manufactured gas plant at 133 Commercial Street on the Bath waterfront. The project included the excavation of old foundations and structures, including a large brick gas holder built in the 1850s, and the removal of soils containing traces of coal tar, ash, and other residues from the former gas plant. The final grading and seeding were completed earlier this spring, though the company will continue to monitor the progress of the re-vegetation through the spring. In the past eight years, CMP has restored four other former manufactured gas plant sites in Maine.
Central Maine Power took responsibility for the clean-up, because the company is the only remaining owner and former operator of the plant. CMP’s environmental specialists and consultants developed a plan for restoring the site for future use. The plan received state and local approvals in the fall, and work began last December. CMP completed the work with oversight by the Maine Department of Environmental Protection through the state’s Voluntary Remediation Action Plan.
Manufactured Gas Plants operated in towns and cities throughout Maine from the early 1800s to the mid-1900s. The plants heated coal and other petroleum products in the presence of steam to make a gas for street lighting and home use. Historical records show that Bath’s waterfront plant operated for nearly 80 years starting in the early 1850s under a succession of owners including the Bath Gas Light Co., the Sagadahoc Light & Power Co., the Bath Gas & Electric Co., and the Bath & Brunswick Power & Light Co. CMP took ownership of the gas works in 1920 when it acquired its former owner. CMP discontinued the operation and closed the plant in 1935. The site, which is a portion of the property known as the Coal Pocket, was bought by the Kennebec Wharf and Coal Company 1937.
About CMP: Central Maine Power, a subsidiary of Energy East Corporation, operates more than 25,000 miles of power lines and other facilities that deliver electricity to 80 percent of Maine’s population. Web site: www.cmpco.com.
About Energy East: Energy East Corporation is a respected, super-regional energy services and delivery company serving about 3 million customers throughout upstate New York and New England. By providing outstanding customer service and meeting customers’ energy requirements in an environmentally responsible manner, Energy East will continue to be a valuable asset to the communities we serve.
— CMP —