Central Maine Power Reminds Customers to Be ‘Storm Smart'
June 1 marked the official start of the 2017 Atlantic hurricane season
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
AUGUSTA, Maine, June 5, 2017 — The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season is officially under way.
Central Maine Power, a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR), reminds customers that now is a good time to update their emergency plans, assemble storm kits and review safety guidelines.
“Storm preparedness is one of our highest priorities, and planning for storms and other emergencies is something we do year-round,” said Sara Burns, CMP’s president and CEO. “It’s also important for customers and their families to know what to do in order to stay safe and comfortable in case a storm causes prolonged loss of electricity or other utility services.”
The Atlantic Hurricane Season runs from June 1 to Nov. 30. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a more-active-than-usual season, with a likelihood of 11 to 17 named storms (sustained winds of 39 mph or higher), of which five to nine could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including two to four major hurricanes (winds of 111 mph or higher).
Report Problems and Get Information:
- Always assume downed power lines are live and dangerous, so stay clear of them.
- Stay out of flooded basements and call CMP at 1.800.696.1000 to have service turned off.
- For customers with generators:
- Hire a licensed electrician to install permanent generators and transfer switches.
- Properly ground all portable generators.
- Carefully read and observe all instructions in your generator’s operating manual.
- Never run a generator indoors, or even in an open garage.
- If your carbon monoxide detector goes off – get out of the building immediately and call 911.
- Do not store fuel indoors or try to refuel a generator while it’s running.
- Refer to CMP’s web page on generator safety: http://www.cmpco.com/UsageAndSafety/electricalsafety/GeneratorSafety/default.html
Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook.
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) is a diversified energy and utility company with more than $31 billion in assets and operations in 27 states. The company owns regulated utilities and electricity generation assets through two primary lines of business, Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks is comprised of eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving approximately 3.2 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables operates more than 6 gigawatts of owned and controlled renewable generation capacity, primarily through wind and solar, in 22 states across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 6,800 people. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com.
About CMP: Central Maine Power Company (CMP) is a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR). As Maine’s largest electricity transmission and distribution utility, CMP serves 619,000 homes and businesses, representing about 80% of Maine’s customer base. J.D. Power and Associates has ranked the company #1 in customer satisfaction seven times. For more information, visit www.cmpco.com.
Central Maine Power